Homeopathy for Insomnia
If you suffer from insomnia - read on! I am particularly interested in the power of sleep, having given "sleep sleep sleep" as part of my prescription to many patients in clinic over more than 20 years in practice.
The benefits of sleep are now so much better understood and books have been written just on the value of sleep. I have recently completed Matthew Walker's excellant book, 'Why We Sleep' and highly recommend it to all my clients. ( June 2018)
So, how can homeopathy help you with sleeplessness? In the past, when a patient presented with this as their main symptom I would prescribe their constitutional remedy and give various natural and common sense approaches to adjusting their sleep pattern. These, it turns out, have been reinforced by the latest research. But the constitutional remedy was an important pivot for the various strategies to work around
I do believe that the correctly chosen homeopathic remedy plays a huge part in the readjustment, so in the section below I will give six of the main insomnia remedies for you to try. Scroll down for those remedies in the homeopathy for insomnia section.
What are the problems?
As we get older sometimes our ability to stay asleep can be compromised, we rouse more easily.. we wake earlier, we feel sleepy in the afternoons. These are all natural functions of our aging process. If we are able to, we should have a nap in the afternoon. Bi-phasic sleep patterns have been shown to be very beneficial.
EVERY DAY COMMON SENSE SUGGESTIONS
1. Routine! Routine! Go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time. Even if you don't fall off to sleep, go to your sleep place.
2. No electrical sugnals or wifi nearby. Turn off all electronic devices and leave them outside your bedroom if possible.
3.Goodbye TV. Remove TV's from your sleep area. If you cant do that, unplug it when you want to sleep.
4.Keep it cool and dark. The room temperature should be cooler and there should be no light. An eye mask and ear plugs are helpful if darkness and silence are not possible, such as in a hospital.
5. Heavy Blankets. The actual weight of your coverings, whether it be a duvet ( doona ) or sheets and blanket.. the weight on your body can be a good trigger for sleep mode. It may be that you have just a light sheet or super efficient duvet which weighs nothing but is in fact, niot giving your brain the optimum sleep signal.
6. Brain Entrainment and self hypnosis. In 2009 I purchased the full Brain Entrainment set of CD's to help with a course of study I was doing. Since then I would not be without them.. and now the company have produced Sleep Salon especially to beat insomnia. I highly recommend this company to you.. their products have been scientifically designed based on current knowledge of neuroscience. You will find their insomnia product online a short CD that you listen to when you want to sleep. It can even be downloaded instantly.
7. Circadian adjustment. Readjust your circadian rhythm by getting as much exposure to light as you can towards the end of the day. Maybe a daylight lamp will help if its darker in the evenings. If you can - eat your lunch out in the fresh air, go for a walk in the afternoons when you might otherwise be feeling sleepy. By having more exposure to light later in the day you are resetting your body clock.
8. Box of Troubles Often insomnia is aided by trying to keep track of a whole load of worries. Have a box outside the bedroom door where you 'leave your worries'. You have to get into the habit of writing out whatever is on your mind, just a few words will do. Then put the piece of paper in the box and close the lid. You can make it a kind of ceremony or ritual and it can become an effective way of letting go and also picking up a to-do list in the morning.
9. Rituals and Ceremonies. I am a big believer in rituals and ceremonies. You'll find several pages devoted to some wonderful letting go rites of passage on this site. Sometimes we have insomnia because we just haven't let go of a grief or disappointment. Check out 'rituals to get by with'.
10. Audio Books Calm the mind. If you have tried everything and nothing has worked, join an audio book club. Nothing too gripping or interesting. Often a voice alone, talking quietly, can trigger the sleep response.
11. Avoid caffeine after 11 am. No, seriously, it can stay in your system - wreaking chemical havoc - for many hours. Coffee is not the best friend of the sleepless. Try and avoid it completely.
MEDICATIONS CAN INTERFERE WITH SLEEP
There are some drugs which older people commonly have prescibed by their physician which can interfere with sleep patterns. For example, some antidepressants such as prozac, some drugs for lung disorders such as prednisone, and diuretics for high blood pressure which make us want to pee during the night. Talk to your physician if you think that any of your meds may be causing insomnia.
HOMEOPATHY FOR INSOMNIA
Homeopathic remedies are useful during episodes of insomnia, and may also help individuals with longer-standing sleep disorders. I have chosen these real jewels for you to try. They are amongst my most reliable and well tested remedies for sleeplessness and insomnia.
Contact me if you find that they don't help and I will choose an individualised prescription for you.
Avena Sativa: Great for calming down baby at night, a few drops in the water or juice can bring them to a restful sleep.
Cypripedium If your baby or toddler cries out in the night and then wants to laugh and play, give a few drops of this lovely remedy and they will soon settle again.
Cocculus: Do you feel “too tired to sleep”. Young adults with babies have disrupted sleep patterns; older people caring for an elderly relative who is awake often in the night: worry, jet lag, shift work.. all of these situations disrupt sleep and make you feel irritable and dizzy, you can't even think!! Take Cocculus an hour before sleep time, and again just before sleep..
Coffea Cruda: Adults. You just can't stop thinking! Thoughts go round and round, you feel stressed and exhausted. If you do sleep, its light and full of dreams .. and you wake from the slightest noise or motion.
Daphnia Indica Adults. Just cannot fall asleep! and if you do.. there are nightmares.. do you dream about black cats for example? Bones are achey. You long for a cigarette? This is, without a doubt, the remedy you need.
Ignatia:Adults. If insomnia is caused by emotional upset (grief or loss, a disappointment in love, a shock, or even an argument) this remedy may be helpful. The person is sensitive and nervous, and may often sigh and yawn in the daytime, but find it hard to relax at night. As the person tries to fall asleep, the arms and legs may twitch or itch. If sleep arrives, it is usually light, with jerking of the legs and arms, or long and troubling nightmares.
Passiflora You feel tired, restless, worried and oveworked. Little ones have a nocturnal cough, maybe a history of convulsions. Great for babies and the elderly.
Zincum metallicum: Can't lie still in bed at night, legs move about a lot? Can't sleep because you just can't get comfortable? And when you are asleep, do you sleep walk or cry out in your sleep. Sounds like Zincum would be a big help
Valerian root is an ancient herb that has been used for insomnia for hundreds of years. You can buy it at any good health food shop. Read the instructions on the bottle. Don't use it if you are taking other mood regulating drugs, such as valium or amitriptyline. And of course - regulate your own dose. Recent research has shown that as individuals , we each have an individual tolerance for drugs of all kinds, take a little first and see how you react.
Kava is another herb for insomnia. You can't use it with alcohol or barbiturates., and don't drive or operate machinery if you take kava.
Avoid caffeine and nicotine and heavy meals late in the evening.
Exercise - of course - a brisk walk, some yoga or ti chi.. in the evening, will tire out those last vestiges of energy you have stored up during the day.
Acute Symptom Consultation US$ 50 2 hours + 2 prescriptions
Chronic Disease Consultation 4 hours + 2 prescriptions US$250
Constitutional Consultation 4 hours + 4 prescriptions over two months US$ 350
You can contact me directly via my contact form . I check it regularly.