On this page you will find some brilliant info about homeopathic remedies for period pains.
What Causes Period Pains?
Menstrual cramp pains occur before, during or after the flow of blood. These pains can be very sharp, or dull and heavy. They can extend from front to back, side to side, up to the breasts and down to the thighs.
Of course, modern women can use a variety of effective pain killers for their period pains but always remember my AND ALSO rule. Find a remedy that fits your symptoms and then take it for at least two months, even while you continue with the analgesics.
Just focusing on the pains, I am including TEN of the best homeopathic medicines, plus a variety of naturopathic strategies for helping at this time.
Read through the indications for each of them and make a note of any that HAVE AT LEAST TWO OF YOUR OWN SYMPTOMS indications.
Then order that remedy from your local homeopathic pharmacy and take it daily for a couple of months to see how helpful it can be. Millions of women in countries where homeopathy is very popular find that once they work out which remedy fits their symptoms then that remedy becomes like their very best friend and they wouldn't be without it. You can do this too!
(1) Colocynthus. Heavy blood flow. Bearing down menstrual cramps cause you to bend over to relive the pain. Worse on the left side. Better from hard pressure You feel very irritable and snappy.
(2) Cuprum Met. Violent and distressing cramps, often with diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting. Sometimes the pains seem to extend up into the chest. Bending the knees up DOES NOT help at all. Periods come too late and seem to go on and on.
(3) Cimicifuga. One of the best all round remedies for the female repro system. Periods are always irregular and the pain is worse just before the period begins, tending to go across from hip to hip and increasing as the flow of blood increases. The blood itself is dark and clotted, there's backache and some depression.
(4) Belladonna. Pain starts at ovulation, maybe from a cyst, usually worse on the right side. The pain is sharp and dragging , with a heavy discharge of bright red blood. Feel worse when they lie down, and generally better from gentle movement.
(5) Mag Phos. Menstrual cramps that are spasmodic, cramping, like labor. Heat and pressure - like a hot water bottle - relieve the pains. Put a few doses of the remedy into hot water, dissolve and sip, stirring briskly between sips.
(6) Kali Carb. Blood comes too early and is very profuse, or too late and there is little of it. Soreness around the genital area. Pain often goes from the lower back, down through the buttock and thigh muscles. Blood could continue a little after the main flow has ceased. Pain better from sitting and pressure.
(7) Sepia. A heavy sagging, dragging sensation in the lower abdomen. Better for crossing the legs. Just wants to be left alone. Depressed, irritable and angry. Can't feel anything emotionally and doesn't want intercourse.
(8) Viburnum Opulus. Periods come too late, last just a few hours, are offensive in odour, with menstrual cramp pains that can extend down the back of the thighs. There is a bearing down pain before the flow starts. The ovarian region feels heavy and congested. Aching between sacrum and pubes.
(9) Lachesis PMS symptoms start to get better once the flow of blood starts. Often felt more on the left side, the blood is darker. Abdomen feels worse from any pressure or tight clothing.
(10) Veratrum Album Profuse blood flow with coldness, sweating and exhaustion. Pain cutting and cramping, may extend up to the breasts and is often accompanied by nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Or here are couple of extra quick hints that might help!
If the pain is centered in the front of the abdomen and improves when the blood flow begins and feels better from holding warmth against the abdomen then Mag Phos is ideal.
If the menstrual cramp pain improves when the blood flow begins, extends through to the back and is bright red, then take Belladonna. Or if it the pain extends down the thighs, take Kali Carb.
If the pain completely goes when the blood flow begins, and the pain extends through to the thighs, then Viburnum Opulus is the correct remedy.
Of course there are dozens of natural helps and approaches to the problem of menstrual cramps as women all through history have endured them. We all can suffer from a combination of the symptoms, often depending on our diet. Here are a selection of the best results from clinical trials and anecdotal evidence.
(BUT Don't forget to use the 'AND ALSO' approach.
What I mean is - take pain killers by all means but at the same time DO take the EPO or Star Oil with your regular daily vits and mins. DO make up a jug of a herbal tea to have during the days of your period and DO have your homeopathics with you, in your pocket, and pop one under your tongue as and when you remember.
All of these methods work brilliantly in combination because while the analgesics deaden the nerve messages the other methods are working steadily away at reducing the pain in the long term.
Evening Primrose Oil: Taken daily for the days before and through the flow.
Tormentavena, a herbal combination of the fresh tormentavil root and the juice of the green flowering oat plant. Said to have a tonic affect on the nerves.
Shepherds purse tincture (Bursa pastoris) can also be very helpful.
If the flow of blood is light then Sea Kelp can be really helpful because of its Potassium Iodide content. Taking one Kelp tablet in the morning and at noon helps to normalize the flow. Do not take it in the evening though and stop when the flow is normal.
A daily drink of Spiralina with pineapple juice and half a banana..check out my wizard nutritional drinks section!
Caraway seeds: crush an ounce of caraway seeds and put into a glass jar. Add 20 oz cold water andlet it steep overnight. The next morning, strain the mixture. Take one or two tablespoons of the mixture throughout the day, as needed, for the cramps. Keep the liquid refrigerated.
Chamomille and Ginger Root Heat a cup of water to boiling and add one tablespoon of dried Chamomille and a pinch of grated ginger root. Infuse like any herbal tea and drink.
JUST FOR YOUR INFO..! HERE ARE SOME MEDICAL DETAILS OF CAUSES OF VERY SEVERE MENSTRUAL CRAMPS.
If any of these apply, then see your doctor pronto. You can still use many of the homeopathics and natural remedies I have suggested. Also please Contact me for more personal help!
Endometriosis. In this painful condition, the type of tissue that lines your uterus becomes implanted outside your uterus, most commonly on your fallopian tubes, ovaries or the tissue lining your pelvis. Symptoms include abnormal to heavy bleeding, lower back pain, painful intercourse, diarhoea, constipation, pain on passing a stool.
Adenomyosis In this condition, the tissue that lines your uterus begins to grow within the muscular walls of the uterus.
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) This infection of the female reproductive organs is usually caused by sexually transmitted bacteria.
Use of an intrauterine device (IUD). These small, plastic, T-shaped birth control devices are inserted into your uterus. They may cause increased cramping, particularly during the first few months after insertion. With the modern ones doctors will need to be kept up to date with your response to the IUD. So dont forget to tell the GO what is happening month by month.
Uterine fibroids and uterine polyps. These noncancerous tumors and growths protrude from the lining of your uterus. Homeopathic treatment for this condition must be under the care of an experienced homeopath.
Oestrogen and progesterone imbalance.
Hormonal changes due to emotional stress, travel, depression, anorexia, and drugs.
SO - AS WE ALREADY KNOW - STRESS IN LIFE CAN AND OFTEN DOES CAUSE PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS. SORT OUT YOUR STRESSES, rest and relax and thereby give your body ample help with its own healing.
If you are concerned that your menstrual cramps may be caused by any of these conditions you must check with your medical practitioner.
Acute Symptom Consultation US$ 50 2 hours + 2 prescriptions
Chronic Disease Consultation 4 hours + 2 prescriptions US$250
Constitutional Consultation 4 hours + 4 prescriptions over two months US$ 350
You can contact me directly via my contact form . I check it regularly.